The activities of the Institute for Technology Studies fall within three main areas of policies:
- Network formation and establishing interactions with national and international technology studies institutes
- Focusing on research management (instead of doing research independently)
- Serving as a means of development to help establish, develop and improve institutions needed for science, technology and innovation in Iran.
Based on the first two foregoing polices it could be concluded that the institute is a small and agile organization.
- Focusing on projects on national and supra-national scale
- Putting emphasis on finishing the research projects successfully
- Putting emphasis on keeping and developing qualified manpower
- Moving in line with the state of the art of specialized areas
- Avoiding to carry out partial and technical research projects
- Avoiding to adopt a one-dimensional perspective in projects